Proms on TV 2026
John Wilson Conducts Respighi’s ‘Roman Trilogy’
Royal Albert Hall
Sunday 27th July, 2026
Tonight we are transported to Italy via the Royal Albert Hall. A country I am yet to visit, it is high on my wish list. I am assembling a new shoe rack (purchased from my local Home Bargains on Friday night) by my front door while this is going on.
We have John Wilson conducting the Sinfonia of London. It is hard to know which shelf to place them on, but there is something undeniably regal about their presence on stage.
Walton's Cello Concerto is a moody piece, and thoroughly enjoyable throughout.
Respighi's Rome is astonishing, and places a heavy-duty demand on the orchestra - a duty the Sinfonia of London are clearly prepared for, puffing discordant clouds of sound into the air. I can almost see them. If Rome is anything like this in real life, I look forward to visiting at my nearest opportunity. There is an exotic sort of mandolin being strummed at one point, and to lower the tone I will confess it sounds to me like the fanfare of Fat Tony and his mob from The Simpsons.
Rossini's William Tell is the encore - with an audible giggle from the audience - but boy is it well played. These guys are pro. They clean up.
This was my first introduction to these works, and I will be hunting them out again.
Bravo, Mr Wilson. Absolutely spiffing!
No comments:
Post a Comment