Proms on TV, 2026
Boléro: Rhythms of Spain
Royal Albert Hall
After watching the Elgar broadcast on Friday - slop of which I've better stomached on Blackpool prom - it was time to catch up with the Spanish one on iPlayer. And I must say that I found this broadcast much more flavourful. I am watching on my Lenovo tablet; I think a part of me wants to recreate the thrill of watching them onboard the National Express coaches, like I did a couple of times during last year's run. But it is for practical reasons also, because yesterday I had my settees shampooed, and I am allowing them time to dry out.
It was the Spanish National Orchestra's Proms debut, and they present a hearty tapas. We open with Ravel's Bolero. Do I know this tune? Boy do I know it, and it is further cementing Ravel into my favourite composers list.
Rafael Aguirre plays the guitar in the later pieces, and it is textbook nylon-stringing.
We have the Concierto de Aranjuez - or 'orange juice,' as they call it on Brassed Off. I recognise the music from the film - it was almost its theme tune? I guess I'll be listening out for it when I watch the 30th anniversary screening at the Royal Albert Hall in October.
Needless to say, Rodrigo's Orange Juice is a welcome digestif. Spain win The Proms as well as the World Cup.


No comments:
Post a Comment